Mujaddara, or majadra, is a middle-eastern dish. As many of those, it has many variants. I believe the variant described here is the Iraqi one – in any case, that’s the one traditional in my family.
- 1 cup rice (Indian)
- 1/2 cup lentils (orange)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1tbs oil (canola)
- 2 1/4 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Mix rice and lentils in a bowel.
- Wash, until water is clear.
- Drain all extra water.
- Put the rice into a pot.
- Add oil and garlic and mix well.
- Add water.
- Bring to boil in an un-covered pot.
- When water boils, cover the pot and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.