Based on Food Lab Science recipe, modified to be easier.
- 2 cans chickpeas (drained)
- 2 cans chickpeas (liquid)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 8 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cans red kidney beans (drained)
- 2 cans red kidney beans (liquid)
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 3 tablespoons instant cornmeal
- Put chickpeas in food processor. Apply three 1-second pulses.
- Add tomoatoes and chili powder to chickpea liquid and stir.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add onion. Stir for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, and oregano, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add tomato mixture and stir.
- Add processed chickpeas and kidney beans. Add just enough bean liquid until beans are submerged.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add more bean liquid if chili becomes too stick or sticks to the bottom.
- Add tequila and stir.
- Season with salt.
- Add in the cornmeal slowly until desired thickness is reached.
- Refrigerate overnight.