- White sugar (2 cups)
- All purpose flour (1 3/4 cups)
- Cocoa powder (1 1/2 cups)
- Baking powder (1 1/2 tsp)
- Baking soda (1 1/2 tsp)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Eggs (2)
- Milk (1 1/3 cups)
- Vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- Vanilla extract (3 tsp)
- Water (1 cup)
- Powdered sugar (3 cups)
- Butter (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour two nine inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, flour, 3/4 cup of cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, 1 cup of milk, oil and two teaspoons of vanilla.
- Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer.
- Boil one cup of water.
- Stir in the boiling water. Batter will be thin.
- Pour evenly into pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt butter.
- Stir in 2/3 cups of cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and 1/3 cup of milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount of additional milk, if needed.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Wait until both sponges have cooled down.
- Spread frosting on the first sponge.
- Put second sponge on top.
- Spread frosting on the second sponge.
- Spread frosting on the sides.